Business Insurance Claims

Business Insurance Claims

Help for when you need to make a claim on your business insurance policy.

Full details of your cover is contained in your Policy Schedule and Certificate of Insurance. Please read these in conjunction with your Policy Wording. When contacting us please make sure you quote your policy number to help us deal with your enquiry more effectively. 

I need to make a claim  

If you need to make a claim under your business insurance please contact us as soon as possible to report the matter to us. 

To make a claim on your Ageas business insurance policy, or for existing claims, please call: 

Our Gloucester office: 0345 122 3283

or email:

Our Port Solent office: 0345 4150495

or email: ​ 

Your Policy Schedule will show which office to call. Alternatively, details may be faxed to
us on 0845 122 3017.

Legal expenses claims

Please refer to your Policy Schedule for the appropriate contact details.

Professional indemnity claims 

To make a claim on your professional indemnity insurance policy, or for a existing claims, please call: 0370 600 2123

What happens next?  

What happens next?

Our Claims Handler will take full details of the claim and guide you through the next steps.

Depending on the value and/or type of claim the claims handler may seek help from a Loss Adjuster. Loss Adjusters are independent experts who will visit you and help you with your claim.

Once we have been notified of a claim, e will contact your Broker/Agent confirming that a claim has been made  this gives the Agent the opportunity to become involved in the claim if either you or they wish. 


  • Report any claim for Loss, Theft or Malicious Damage or Impact to the Police within 24 hours of the incident.
  • Obtain a crime reference number to support a theft of malicious damage claim; an incident number will not suffice.
  • Carry out temporary repairs to prevent further loss. Please retain all invoices for work carried out.
  • Notify us of any incident or potential claim as soon as possible. The sooner we are involved, the more opportunity we have to resolve your claim to our mutual satisfaction.
  • Ensure that any letter or notice received from somebody making a claim against you is reported to us immediately. Any injury to an employee should be reported to us regardless of whether a formal claim has been made against you. We can then decide whether it is a claim that should be investigated and/or provide advice to you.

The 2013 Ministry of Justice Reforms has changed the process of handling injury claims. Once a claim has been notified by a claimant to us, we only have 30 days to investigate an Employers Liability claim and 40 days to investigate a Public Liability claim.  The sooner you report an incident to us, the longer we have to investigate the matter.

Please retain CCTV footage for the day/time of an incident and immediately document any accidents in your Accident Report book/First Aid Report.


  • Dispose of any damaged items, we may wish to see them.
  • Wait for estimates to be obtained for work to be carried out before notifying us of a claim.
  • Admit liability for any claim being made against you by a Third Party. Simply provide them with our details; advise them that you will be notifying us and that we will contact them directly.

How will my claim be settled?  

As well as Loss Adjusters, we have a number of suppliers who can assist us in dealing with your claim. These include glaziers, drainage experts, structural engineers, building surveyors and computer repairers and replacement specialists.

  • Broken window/shop front - We can provide you with the number of a national glazier who will visit your premises, survey the damage and arrange replacement of the glass. The glazier will invoice us directly. You will be responsible for payment of the excess applicable to your policy and the VAT element (if you are VAT registered). You will receive a separate invoice for these items from the glazier.
  • Other damage to your property (buildings and contents) - We have a number of suppliers that can repair your property or replace items which have been stolen or damaged beyond repair. If one of our suppliers is used then you will not need to obtain estimates and we will settle any costs directly with them. You will only be responsible for payment of the excess applicable to your policy and the VAT element (if you are VAT registered). You will receive a separate invoice for these items.
  • Damage or injury to a Third Party - If you are legally responsible for the damage or injury sustained to a Third Party then we will pay for all sums that you become legally liable to pay as compensation (as well as the Claimants costs and expenses). The amounts paid will be negotiated and agreed between us and the Third Party (or their legal representatives).

What information does Ageas need?  

Typically we will need:

  • Proof of ownership – Original purchase invoices, Bank Account Statements and/or similar.
  • An estimate for the cost of replaing damanged or stolen items.
  • If the item cannot be repaired then we will need a letter or report from an independent expert confirming this as well as the cause of the damage.
  • Two estimates for repair of the damaged property.
  • Any photographs you have of the property (taken before and after the event) would be useful.
  • Police crime reference/incident number.
  • Trading accounts will need to be made available in event of a Business Interruption claim being made.
  • Any correspondence received from a Third Party or Third Party representative where you are being held responsible for an injury or damage to a Third Party should be sent to us immediately and unanswered. We will answer them on your behalf.

In  the event of an injury claim/incident any of the following will assist and speed up the investigation:

  • CCTV footage
  • Witness details/statements
  • Pre & post incident employee earning schedule (3 months before and 3 months after)
  • First Aid report/copy of accident report book
  • HSE Forms/minutes of any H&S meetings
  • Training records
  • Evidence of the use of personal protective equipment
  • Maintenance logs for premises machinery
  • Risk assessments