Car Insurance Claims

Full details of your cover is contained in your Policy Schedule and Certificate of Insurance. Please read these in conjunction with your Policy Booklet.

When contacting us please make sure you quote your policy to help us deal with your enquiry more effectively.

I need to make a claim  

If you are involved in an accident please contact us as soon as possible to report the matter, even if you don’t intend to make a claim.

To make a claim on your Ageas car insurance policy, or for existing claims, please call: 0345 122 3018

For windscreen claims call our Glassline on: 0800 174 764

I've been involved in an accident  

What should I do in the event of an accident?

If you have an accident get as much information as you can as soon as possible. It is a good idea to keep a pen and paper in the vehicle to record all the details and store the OneCall number in your mobile phone. Call 0345 122 3018.

  • Ask the other drivers involved for their names, addresses and telephone numbers.
  • Request the name of their insurers and if possible their Policy or Certificate number. This is very important to help us quickly deal with the claim.
  • Make a note of the vehicle registration numbers, along with the make, model and colours of the other vehicles involved. Also note all relevant details such as weather conditions.
  • Make a note of any injuries or damage to other property.
  • Ask for the names and addresses of any witnesses before they lose interest and leave the scene.

If the police attend the scene, obtain the address of the police station and if possible their reference number.

Where possible, please take pictures of the incident before the vehicles and property are moved as this may be required for you claim.

It may also help if you make a sketch plan of the accident while the details are fresh in your mind.

What the law says

If you are involved in any incident involving an injury to any person or damage to any other vehicle or property you must stop.

Give your name, address and insurance details to anyone who has a good reason for asking.

If there is an injury or you do not give your details to anyone at the scene, you must report the matter to the police within 24 hours.


  • At the scene, don’t discuss whose fault the accident seems to have been.
  • Don’t apologise or admit any fault or liability.
  • Don’t forget to record the details of damage caused to any property or injury to anyone involved.

I need to repair my car  

How do I get my car repaired?

Contact us on 0345 122 3018 to report the claim.

If you have a Comprehensive policy and the accident occurred in the UK then we will:

  • Arrange to get you and your passengers home or to your planned destination if the car is undriveable. Or we will pay up to £50 per person (maximum £250) for overnight accommodation if you are unable to complete your journey.
  • We will arrange for the vehicle to be taken to one of our Approved Repairers.
  • Once at our repairer, the vehicle will be assessed and if it is economical to repair, repairs will begin.
  • To keep you mobile, our repairer will provide you with a small, manual gear box vehicle free of charge for the duration that the vehicle is being repaired by them.
  • When your vehicle repairs have been completed, our repairer will wash and clean your vehicle and contact you for a convenient time to deliver the vehicle back to you.
  • You will be required to pay your policy excess to the repairer, regardless of whether or not you were to blame for the accident.

What if I want to use a garage of my own choice?

If you choose to use your own garage please note that:

  • We will need one estimate from you.
  • We may arrange for a qualified Engineer to see your vehicle.
  • The repairs will not be able to start until we have given our authorisation.
  • Unfortunately, we will be unable to provide you with a vehicle for the duration of the repair.
  • We will be unable to guarantee the quality of the repair.
  • You will be required to pay your policy excess to the repairer, regardless of whether or not you were to blame for the accident.

Please note that using our approved repairers will help us keep the cost of your claim as low as possible.

What if my car is not repairable?

We may not be able to repair your vehicle for a number of reasons.

  • It is impossible to repair.
  • It isn’t safe to repair.
  • The repair costs exceed the market value of your vehicle.

If we feel that your vehicle is unlikely to be repairable, we will arrange for it to be assessed by a qualified Engineer. Unfortunately, if we are unable to repair your vehicle we will not be able to provide you with a courtesy car.

Once the Engineer has seen your vehicle they will forward their detailed report to our Claims Department who will offer you a settlement amount. This amount will be subject to the following:

  • Receipt of the original Vehicle Registration Document.
  • Receipt of the current MOT Certificate.
  • Receipt of your fully completed Report Form.
  • Deduction of any outstanding vehicle finance.
  • Deduction of any outstanding insurance premium. (Unless you have an alternative arrangement with your Agent or Broker.)
  • Deduction of the policy excess. (This is deducted regardless of whether or not you were to blame for the accident.)

We will arrange for the vehicle salvage to be disposed of in accordance with current codes of practice.

What if the accident wasn’t my fault?

If the accident wasn’t your fault, and we can find the person who caused the accident, then we may be able to recover our costs for the claim. If we can recover 100% then your No Claims Discount will not be affected.

You will need to pay a policy excess, either to the garage who repair your vehicle or the amount may be deducted from any settlement cheque we send to you. This will be payable even if you were not at fault. You may also suffer other financial losses as a result of the accident, which will not be covered by the policy you have with us. These are called uninsured losses.

If the accident was not your fault you maybe able to recover your uninsured losses from the other person or their insurer.

Contact your insurance adviser and they will be able to tell you if you have a legal expenses policy that will be able to assist you in recovering these losses.This would be separate to the insurance policy that you hold with us. Alternatively, contact your Claims handler who will be able to give you advice on what to do.

I need to repair or replace my windscreen  

What should I do if I need to repair or replace my windscreen?

Ageas Glassline 0800 174 764 

Repairing a windscreen or window instead of replacing it will mean you will pay a lower excess.

Ask when calling glass line and they can advise on this.

A policy excess may apply and this will need to be paid to the glass replacement company, please see your Policy Booklet and Schedule for details.

A limit may apply if you choose not to use a company we recommend. Please see your Policy Booklet for details.

Repairing a windscreen or window instead of replacing it can save you paying the policy excess. Ask when calling the glass line and they can give you advice on this.

My car has been stolen  

What should I do if my car is Stolen?

  • Call the Police immediately and obtain a crime reference number.
  • Contact us on 0345 122 3018 to report the matter. 

We will need the following documents so please make sure these are to hand,

  • Current MOT Certificate.
  • Vehicle Registration Document (V5 or Log book).
  • Purchase receipt.
  • Service History.
  • Copy of your Driving Licence.
  • Certificate of Motor Insurance.
  • We will also require all the vehicle keys.

If you don’t have any of the above then you should obtain duplicates as soon as possible or explain to us why they are not available.

Once we have received all the required documents and any enquires have been completed, we will make an offer for the market value of your vehicle less any policy excess that applies.

If your vehicle is recovered at any stage, either before or after we have sent the settlement cheque to you, please contact us immediately with the vehicle location. This will enable us to move the vehicle to one of our agents. Failure to do this may result in you becoming liable for any towing and storage charges.

Motor Insurers and their agents share information via various Databases such as the Claims and Underwriting Exchange and the Motor Insurance Anti Fraud and Theft Register. This allows us to check the information you have provided and to prevent fraudulent claims.