Van insurance Claims

Van Insurance Claims

Help for when you need to make a claim on your van insurance policy.

Full details of your cover is contained in your Policy Schedule and Certificate of Insurance. Please read these in conjunction with your Policy Booklet. When contacting us please make sure you quote your policy to help us deal with your enquiry more effectively. 

I need to make a claim  

If you are involved in an accident please contact us as soon as possible to report the matter, even if you don’t intend to make a claim.

To make a claim on your van insurance policy, or for existing claims, please call: 0345 122 3260

For windscreen claims call our Glassline on: 0800 174 764

I've been involved in an accident  

What should I do in the event of an accident?

If you have an accident get as much information as you can as soon as possible. It is a good idea to keep a pen and paper in the vehicle to record all the details and store the OneCall number in your mobile phone. Call 0345 122 3260.

To help with the claims process

  • Do not apologise or admit fault
  • Try to collect the following information to give to the OneCall claims helpline. This will help us to speed up your claim
  • Full details of the other drivers, including their phone numbers, and the registration of all vehicles involved. This will allow us to contact anybody else involved straight away and, if you are not at fault and we manage to recover any money we pay, your no claim discount will not be affected
  • Injuries caused
  • Property damage
  • Witnesses (if there are any)
  • Full details of what happened

If the police attend the scene, obtain the address of the police station and if possible their reference number.

If you happen to have a camera in the vehicle, it may help us if you are able to take pictures before the vehicles and property are moved.

It may also help if you make a sketch plan of the accident while the details are fresh in your mind.

What the law says 

  • You must stop if you are involved in any incident involving an injury to any person or certain animals, or if other vehicles or roadside property are damaged.If you own the vehicle, you must give your name, address and insurance details to anyone who has a good reason for asking. If you do not own the vehicle, you must give the owner’s name and address.
  • If there is an injury or you do not give your details to anyone at the scene, you must report the incident to the police within 24 hours and provide your certificate of motor insurance within five days.

I need to get my van repaired  

How do I get my vehicle repaired?

If damage to the vehicle is covered and it can be repaired, we will arrange for one of our approved repairers to collect your vehicle. Repairs made by approved repairers are guaranteed for three years.

You do not need to get any estimates and repairs can begin immediately after we have authorised them.

When the work is done, our repairer will contact you and arrange for a convenient time to deliver the vehicle back to you.

We will pay the repair bill. All you need to do is pay any policy excess or VAT (if it applies) straight to our repairer when they deliver the vehicle back to you

What if I want to use a garage of my own choice?

If you choose to use your own garage please note that:

  • We will need an estimate from you
  • We may arrange for a qualified Engineer to see your vehicle
  • The repairs will not be able to start until we have given our authorisation
  • We will be unable to guarantee the quality of the repair
  • We will pay the repair bill. All you need to do is pay any policy excess or VAT (if it applies) straight to the repairer when they deliver the vehicle back to you

Please note that using our approved repairers will help us keep the cost of your claim as low as possible.

What if my vehicle is not repairable?

We may not be able to repair your vehicle for a number of reasons.

  • It is impossible to repair
  • It isn’t safe to repair
  • The repair cost exceeds the market value of your vehicle

If the vehicle cannot be economically repaired, we will offer you a settlement amount within one week of the date we receive the documents we need and the engineer’s report. Once this amount is agreed, we will send you a cheque by first class post. We will answer all correspondence within five working days of receiving it.

If the vehicle is a total loss (a write off), you must send in all the original documents that we ask for on your report form (for example, the vehicle registration document (V5c) and the current MOT certificate). We will arrange for an appointed salvage agent to collect the vehicle to get rid of it. Please remember to remove all your belongings from the vehicle before it is collected.

Will I get a replacement vehicle?

For comprehensive policyholders only, as a contribution to keeping you mobile, we will arrange for a supplier to provide you with a replacement vehicle if the vehicle is unroadworthy following an accident. The vehicle provided will be:

  • a car-derived style van, where the vehicle is a light goods vehicle that weighs up to 1.8 tonnes revenue weight. The revenue weight is shown on your UK registration certificate (V5c).
  • a panel van, where the vehicle is a light goods vehicle that weighs between 1.8 and 3.5 tonnes revenue weight

The supplier will provide the replacement vehicle (for up to seven days) until the vehicle is repaired, or we make a settlement offer because the vehicle is a total loss (write off).

Where you need the replacement for longer than 7 days you may arrange this direct with the supplier at preferential terms.

This service depends on a suitable replacement vehicle being available from the supplier. While we will do what we can to make a replacement vehicle available, neither we nor the supplier will be liable to pay any compensation, or provide a vehicle from another source, if a suitable vehicle is not available.

What if the accident wasn’t my fault?

If the accident wasn’t your fault, and we can find the person who caused the accident, then we may be able to recover our costs for the claim. If we can recover 100% then your No Claims Discount will not be affected.

You will need to pay the policy excess, either to the garage who repairs the vehicle or the amount may be deducted from any settlement cheque we send to you. This may be payable even if you were not at fault. You may also suffer other financial loss as a result of the accident, which will not be covered by the policy you have with us. These are called uninsured losses.

If the accident was not your fault you may be able to recover your uninsured losses from the other person or their insurer.

Contact your Insurance Adviser and they will be able to tell you if you have a legal expenses policy that will be able to assist you in recovering these losses. This would be separate to the insurance policy that you hold with us. Alternatively, contact your Claims Handler who will be able to give you advice on what to do.

I need to replace my windscreen  

What should I do if I need to replace my windscreen?

Call our Glassline 0800 174 764 

A policy excess may apply and this will need to be paid to the glass replacement company, please see your Policy Booklet and Schedule for details.

A limit may apply if you choose not to use a company we recommend. Please see your Policy Booklet for details.

Repairing a windscreen or window instead of replacing it can save you paying the policy excess. Ask when calling the Glass Line and they can give you advice on this.

The pictures below may help you recognise whether the break can be repaired or not.

My van has been stolen  

What should I do if my vehicle is stolen?

  • Call the Police immediately and obtain a crime reference number.
  • Contact us on 0345 122 3018 to report the matter.
  • We will need the following documents so please make sure these are to hand, 
  • Current MOT Certificate.
  • Vehicle Registration Document (V5c or Log book).
  • Purchase receipt.
  • Service history.
  • Copy of your driving licence.
  • Certificate of motor insurance.
  • We will also require all the vehicle keys.

If you don’t have any of the above then you should obtain duplicates as soon as possible or explain to us why they are not available.

Once we have received all the required documents and any enquires have been completed, we will make an offer for the market value of your vehicle less any policy excess that applies.

If your vehicle is recovered at any stage, either before or after we have sent the settlement cheque to you, please contact us immediately with the vehicle location. This will enable us to move the vehicle to one of our agents. Failure to do this may result in you becoming liable for any towing and storage charges.

Motor Insurers and their agents share information via various Databases such as the Claims and Underwriting Exchange and the Motor Insurance Anti Fraud and Theft Register. This allows us to check the information you have provided and to prevent fraudulent claims.